Parramatta Light Rail vehicles are modern, accessible, driver-operated, and can carry large volumes of people. Discover the innovative vehicle design and state-of-the-art features.
New model vehicles
The Parramatta Light Rail will feature 13 new-model 'Urbos 100 vehicles' manufactured by CAF, a global leader in light rail vehicle design. The evolved design will incorporate upgrades based on fleet performance around the world.
Key features and benefits
- Comfortable space and seating
- Fully accessible and user-friendly design
- State-of-the-art safety features for passengers and the driver
- Visually appealing
- Can carry up to 400 passengers at a time
- High frequency ‘turn up and go’ services will operate seven days a week, departing approximately every 7.5 minutes during peak periods.
Local jobs supported
The Parramatta Light Rail vehicles will support the creation of more than 50 local jobs, including drivers, technicians and maintenance crews, when the light rail is operational in 2024.
- 45-metre-long vehicle
- Seven-car set per vehicle
- Seating capacity for 76 passengers per vehicle
- Dual electric and battery-powered capability
- Overhead wiring powered by seven electricity substations located across the alignment
- In-ground charging station at the Westmead Terminus.
Image shown is for illustrative purposes only: interior view of a light rail vehicle prototype.
- Complies with Australian and international safety standards
- Closed circuit television (CCTV) security through the vehicle saloon
- Conveniently located help points for customers to contact the driver in an emergency
- Exterior warning bells to alert the public in the event of danger
- A speed advisory system, collision avoidance warning system and fatigue detection system for driver safety.
- Ramp access and low floors
- Double doors and priority seating
- Dedicated space for wheelchairs and prams
- Interior handrails, posts and overhead handholds
- Hearing loops
- LCD screens with real-time journey information
- Braille signage at help points
- Racks for up to four bicycles.